Saturday, October 25, 2008

No. 34


This is an unpublished image from my Karen refugee photo story I did a while back. I photographed a series of encounters on expired film. The story eventually got published in a two part series on the settlement of Karen refugees in the Fox Valley. The struggles and resettlement issues were apparent. Many had very limited to no English language skills but an appetite for survival in the promise land. Their hearts were warm with desire and their American contacts were willing to teach them anything and everything. Integrating into a new culture can be daunting but I applaud the valiant effort and success of any immigrant trying to find a better life in this country. My father did the same and I often try to honor his memory by picking stories that touch my heart.

No comments: